Wednesday, November 17, 2010

EDLD 5366 Week 3 Animation

It's been about 6 years since I've worked with animation. I was trained how to use Adobe Director. It introduced me to the terms "sprites", "scripts" and "stage" as they apply to animation. I tried to load Director on my new computer and it wouldn't load. I don't know if I recorded the serial number incorrectly or if it isn't compatible.

I downloaded Stykz first, played with moving the stick figure around and eventually added several more figures to move in a "dancing" sceen. I stopped playing with that before I watched some of the videos showing how a background can be added and figures can be flown through the air and crashed into things such as mountains.
I tried using Google SketchUp and watched a couple of YouTube videos. I wasn't very impressed with that program and kept looking for others.
At this point, I moved on to Scratch. I was impressed with how user friendly it is and was able to create a short, three-sprite animation in a short time after watching only two YouTube "how-to" videos. I did begin remembering some of the actions that I used in Director when I began playing with Scratch. Programs like this take practice to get good with and I could sit for hours and play with it. I hope to gain a lot more knowledge about it after my students and I start an animation unit using Stykz and Scratch.

Here is the URL for the Scratch animation website because the embedded applet sometimes gets hung loading in Blogger so I've provided both.


http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/scopeland30/1421364

Learn more about this project

No comments:

Post a Comment